Old January 20th 07, 03:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit
heichler

Default spinning wheels

Jacquie Joyce wrote:
Hi All
I was wondering if someone can help me. I am a knitwear designer/producer
and I have been asked to produce some designs with alpaca yarn. The lady who
has asked me has her own alpacas and would dearly like to have the yarn hand
spun. I have never ever done spinning in my life but would love to have a
go. I have not got a clue where to begin or anything. Can anyone help me
please.
Kind Regards
Jacquie

Hello Jacquie,
I live in Wisconsin and have been spinning since 1970. In 1984 began a
knitwear business and just love it. Since I only use natural fibers in
all my knitwear it has been very helpful to know how to spin all the
fibers. When I began wondered the same thing you are. Finally went to
the library and got a book on how to do it. Soon after that found a
Spinning Guild which I joined and learned so much from the members.
Have been teaching spinning, dyeing and knitting for many years. Do you
live anywhere near Wisconsin? Do you have a wheel? My present wheel
is a Louet and I think it is the best. Knit allot with Alpaca. We
have Alpaca raisers in our area and I had been asked to spin it and
knit it also. I charge $4.00 an ounce to spin any natural fiber. It
is quite time consuming. To find fellow spinners in your area, you
might want to attend a county or state fair and go to the sheep
building. Have spun with groups and alone at our county fairs and
state fair also. If I can be of any help, please contact me.
Kind Regards,
Katherine Heichler