Old September 27th 04, 12:16 AM
Jack Schmidling

"NE333RO"

The reason that you have more questions than answers is that you don't

have
the background needed.....

Just what is it about this hobby that demands that a beginner obtain a
masters degree from some never heard of school or work as a slave/apprentice
for 10 years before he is allowed to ask a question?

Why is it that people keep telling me that no one will ever buy one of my
trinkets because they are garbage when in fact the reason they won't buy
them is because at my most modest rate of $100 an hour, vertually everything
I have made would have to be price at no less the $10,000.

Well usually, just not in your case. The problem is, you want to know what
you want to know.

What a most amazing attitude I have! Just imagine if one had to know what
everyone else wanted one to know.

You want advanced information without benefit of the
preceding groundwork.

Seems to me that I am in a pretty good position to decide what I need to
know.

but are too intimidated by the trolls to ask questions.

Doubtful.

Let's do a survey on that one. Come on lurkers, now's your chance to speak
out!

As a starting point, I melted some silver and poured it into a shallow

sand
mold thinking that I could pound it into sheet metal but gave up in

disgust.

Imagine that. Do you know why?

Of course I do... NOW. But I did not until I made the attempt.

Can you imagine what I would have learned posting the question instead of
doing it?

Unless Peter responded, I would have been called a jackass and told what
school to go to.

Instead of that, I went to his web site and pondered his wierdo stuff he
calls jewelry. After all the lectures on traditional stuff and masters and
apprentices, etc. ad nausiam, I go to his web site and his cover photo is a
piece that looks like a kids toy. After pondering for awhile and knowing
what art has degenerated to, I finally recognize this thing as a ring. It's
a horseshoe shape thing with a red bead in a tube. Maybe a carpenters level
but traditional... my foot.

The next thing I find is what looks like something out of an optical shaft
encoder.... a round disk with a bunch of little beads in a circle. Totally
lost me on this but not to be lost is his braggadocio about how his stuff is
on permanent display at the Smithsonian. I don't doubt it a bit but that is
why I no longer have any respect for the word art. It has about as much
meaning as the word beer these days. Bud is the King of beers because they
say so and the mushbrained masses believe it and buy it.

The only art fair I ever entered got us the the Best of Show ribbon and a
cash prize but we did not sell a single piece. That is when I gave up on
art... about 20 years ago. The mushbrained masses want garbage not art and
people like him know this and give them the garbage they want.

js

--
PHOTO OF THE WEEK: http://schmidling.netfirms.com/pow.htm
Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Gems, Sausage, http://schmidling.netfirms.com