Old April 16th 04, 05:06 AM
Karen_AZ

I have an older Olympus that doesn't quite do the job I need. Anyone out
there who just swoons over the
performance of their digital camera?? If so, why?

I'll bite! I used to use a scanner (went through two generations of
Microtek, and they were good for the price). Last summer I got a camera and
I'd NEVER go back! The scanning was slow (given the same PC setup), the
editing was a PITA and there were certain bead colors I just couldn't get
right no matter how hard I tried (Bullseye neo-lavender, and the equivalent
in Moretti). I'd have to flood the entire image with color correction to
make it work (granted, I was just using Microsoft Picture-It, not a better
graphics program).

Now I have an Olympus C-4000. I paid $530 for it with a BUNCH of goodies
like an extra 128 MB memory card, batteries and charger, wide angle lens,
large carrying bag, filters and a mini tripod. I got it on Ebay. G I LOVE
THIS CAMERA!!!!!! There's a macro setting and a super macro, several
built-in settings, and the possibility to set and save 4 custom setting
combinations. I can turn this baby on, go to my M1 setting, and have it all
ready for shooting beads, exactly as I want. The only thing I have to adjust
is F-stop (my choice, depending on whether I'm shooting a single bead or a
set) and the white balance (another maybe, depending on the color and
background I use). I can shoot 8 sets in about 15 minutes, even with a
degree of fussiness and occasional bracketing of shots. Then I upload them
to my PC and just use the Camedia software that came with the camera. I
think the pics I get are pretty darned good.

I do want to get PSP or Corel at some point (I miss Corel!) but it's not for
the photos themselves. The one serious limitation is that layering isn't
possible, but I don't need that for the auction pix, just for setting up
brochures and fancy business cards.

Beyond macro-land, I still love this camera. I took it on an hour-long walk
yesterday to our local riparian preserve. Shot 92 pix in high res and got
some spectacular shots without any editing beyond a little cropping. Here's
4:

http://members.cox.net/desertdreameraz/PollenBath.jpg (see the bee?)
http://members.cox.net/desertdreameraz/Ocotillo.jpg
http://members.cox.net/desertdreameraz/BunnyLunch.jpg (my lunch companion)
http://members.cox.net/desertdreamer...ricklyPear.jpg (I love this
color!)

Oh, and here's the bead I made based on the Ocotillo pic:
http://members.cox.net/desertdreameraz/OcotilloBead.jpg

I think this camera is an excellent value, and great for all-purpose
photography as well as the beads we need to shoot. I get scolded for not
taking it outside more often. G I've also taken great pix of my kids, a
few night shots, and other odds and ends. It does the job for everything.
I'm even considering selling my beloved Canon AE-1, which I've had since
high school. gasp

KarenK

"Mj" wrote in message
I've gotten to the end of my rope with my search for a reasonably priced
scanner that's easy to use and produces decent scans of the beads I sell

on
eBay. I thought I'd solicit recommendations from anyone who absolutely
LOVES your scanner. Also, I might just throw in the towel with the

scanner
and switch to a digital camera, but the camera has to have a top notch

macro
feature that allows extreme close-ups. I have an older Olympus that

doesn't
quite do the job I need. Anyone out there who just swoons over the
performance of their digital camera?? If so, why?

I use PaintShop Pro to fine tune any images, so image manipulation

software
is really secondary. I've gotten to the point where I dread doing the

scans
for new items because it's become such a pain in the a$$. I still have
stuff I bought in Tucson that I haven't listed yet because I just don't

want
to deal with the scanner. Anyone want to have a go at this??

Please?!?!?!?

Mj
--
Marjean Cline - Certified Bead Enabler