Old June 29th 05, 11:17 PM
Bubbles

"Brad Sondahl" wrote in message
I always work with 5 gallon buckets of scraps--the slop will spread out
onto two 4 foot boards.
These are the instructions from my website:
http://www.sondahl.com/potterytips.html#recycling
Dry the scrap clay on the bisque kiln or in kiln room (this loosens clay
particle bonds--critical step). Slake (wet) it by pouring water over
scraps in 5 gallon bucket. Let it sit for awhile, then poke with stick to
mix and debubble it. Pour off excess water into another bucket. Leave in
kiln room till dry enough to spread on boards. Wedge when workable, store
when proper consistency.

I think the drying is the main things newbies miss--since they throw extra
wet and the stuff seems so gloppy already. The problem is that semidry
lumps of clay don't admit water readily, but if they're dried completely,
they will. The poking with the stick to remove bubbles and allow water
to penetrate lumpier areas is also an important point.

Hi Brad.

The stick idea is a good one. But hubby has one of these stirrer-things for
his drill that he uses to mix small batches of concrete. Would that be
better? Or would it just put more air into the clay, thus making me wedge
for hours (something my wrists wouldn't be happy about).

Marianne