Old June 29th 05, 07:52 PM
Brad Sondahl

I always work with 5 gallon buckets of scraps--the slop will spread out
onto two 4 foot boards.
These are the instructions from my website:
http://www.sondahl.com/potterytips.html#recycling
Dry the scrap clay on the bisque kiln or in kiln room (this loosens clay
particle bonds--critical step). Slake (wet) it by pouring water over
scraps in 5 gallon bucket. Let it sit for awhile, then poke with stick
to mix and debubble it. Pour off excess water into another bucket. Leave
in kiln room till dry enough to spread on boards. Wedge when workable,
store when proper consistency.

I think the drying is the main things newbies miss--since they throw
extra wet and the stuff seems so gloppy already. The problem is that
semidry lumps of clay don't admit water readily, but if they're dried
completely, they will. The poking with the stick to remove bubbles and
allow water to penetrate lumpier areas is also an important point.
Brad
--
For my pottery how-to videos, original art, music, pottery, and
literature, visit my homepage

To reply to me directly, don't forget to take out the "garbage" from my
address.