Old February 17th 14, 01:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C

Default How Can You Tell An Antique from A Copy?

Monica Ferris wrote:

If someone brought to you a dirty, stained piece of linen in a broken frame and you saw it was a sampler dated 1882, how could you tell it was actually a copy? I'm thinking it was stitched on uneven-count linen with silk floss. This is to be a minor plot point in the mystery novel I'm writing. Maybe not even a plot point, just an interesting incident. Thanks!

Take it out of the frame. If it's the real deal, the floss colors on
the back will be brighter because the front would have faded from
exposure to light.

--

Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader/Translator www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

Finished 12/29/13 baby blankets for charity

WIP: Stitchers Days of Christmas
http://www.crossstitchjoy.com/catalo...oducts_id=3865
Nativity from "Countdown to Christmas" book, Oriental Kimono (Janlynn),
MLI The Teacher (gift to the library), Bethany Angel (Marbek)
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel, MLI Farmers Market

www.CFSfacts.org -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf

COPYRIGHT 2014 -- PERMISSION GIVEN TO POST ON
USENET AND GOOGLE GROUPS NEWSREADER ONLY,
BUT IF FOUND ON TWITTER OR SEWGIRLS/INSPIREPOINT,
IT HAS BEEN REPUBLISHED WITHOUT MY PERMISSION
WHICH CONSTITUTES ILLEGAL COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT