Old June 2nd 09, 05:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
FC...

Default Pin vise

On May 28, 10:49*pm, Charlie Leo wrote:
I am using a sliding pin vise for wire wrapping. The vise is a mild
steel, but it wears very rapidly against 21 gauge copper, sterling and
gold filled square wire. *After about an hour's use, the vise will not
hold wire for twisting. It's not that I have one bad vise - I teach a
class and we have gone through about 15 to 20 of these things. Can
anyone here tell me what's happening and either how to prevent or
repair the damage? My backup advisors are very knowledgible, but we
just can't get a grip on this problem )-: .

Yes, I can use a normal pin vise with a screw nut compressing a
collet. However, it takes both hands and a longer time to grip the
wire.

Charlie

I would suggest you buy a milling vise or what is known as a
'machining' vise. They are much, much stronger and have far better
clamping pressure than any bench pin vise. This will allow you to not
only bend, stretch or twist wire, but also, mill, file and drill
pieces of metal as well. They also move in any X or Y axis
combination (infinite adjustments) and can be fitted with all
different types of jaw fittings from leather to rubber, copper,
etc... Many of them also come with a limited lifetime warranty.

Just my .02 cents.....

Cheers,

/MM