Old October 11th 06, 06:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

Default handquilting equipment

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 11:33:38 +0100, Hanne Gottliebsen
wrote:

So, having tried my hand at handpiecing (going quite well, if I say so
myself), I'm now thinking more seriously about learning handquilting too.

Where I live there aren't many classes etc, but so far I've learnt from
books, web, you guys etc more than from classes.

Regardless, I need to get some stuff, right? For space and financial
reasons, a hoop seems like a good place to start for me, and I've found
some that look nice that I can easily get when visiting my parents in a
months time. I was thinking to just get the hoop, this guy also does
floor stands and gizmos that attaches the hoop to the table. If needed I
could get one of those later?

But do I need some sort of stand to even get started? And if not, then
how do you balance everything (hoop and using both hands for quilting).

And what about a thimble? I use a nimble thimble for hand stitching, but
I gather that is not suitable for quilting (no little holes for the
needle to sit in).

Hanne in London

For just trying out hand quilting for the first time Mom suggested
that I spend as little money as possible on hand quilting gizmos until
I had decided if I enjoyed the process. I thread basted my little
quilt. I used a large (12 or 14 inch) wooden embroidery hoop that I
already had in my house, although I could have borrowed a heavier
quilting hoop from my mom. I did some of the work using the hoop, and
some of the work using no hoop at all to see which method I preferred.
I've never had a stand for needlework so I was already familiar with
propping the hoop on chair arms and various body parts so I had no
problems doing the same with a quilt. I did not use a thimble at all,
but if you already use one, use the one you like until you know if you
need a different type. I drew quilting lines on my quilt with a chalk
pencil as I moved the hoop from section to section.

From my first attempt at hand quilting I learned I enjoy hand
quilting, I prefer using a hoop, and that I needed a thimble that I
could push the needle with the side of my finger. I now have a
thimble that will work that way. I don't think I would like a hoop
stand at all because my hand quilting project would be less portable
if I had to carry a stand around with me.

So Hanne, basically you need needle, thread, a chalk pencil or other
line marker, your favorite thimble, and a hoop. Everything else can
be bought if you decide you love hand quilting.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at