Old December 21st 03, 05:38 PM
bill yohler

"Javahut" wrote in message ...

Why put yourself to the grief?

no "grief" selling the machines; a post every six months or year or
so, on avg. someday the right guy will come along. till then, I deal
with "peanut gallery" type commentaries

Yeah, I know these machines have served you
well, but so did my old 386-25 computer.

didn't you say they're serving _you_ well, too? thought I heard you
say that...a little further down

The problem you have is that the learning curve needed to make these produce
a good bevel is more than alot of people have in an age of necessary high
production per hour.

unlike you, I can't 'speak to' the learning curve of ALL people on
earth. some of the more adept folks will 'grasp the concept' and
techniques neccessary in minutes, but others never will, with the
majority, I'd guess, falling somewhere in between on the learning bell
curve. but maybe you're better qualified to speak for everyone on the
PLANET than I?

snip
Here is the kicker, I bevel on equipment such as what you are selling, but
if I were buying today the machines would have to do more inches per hour.
It's just business.

each to his own, I always say...the guys I know that bevel still
"swear by" the old machines, and have diamond - wheeled machines in
their shops, too, in some cases.

By the way, its not that your machines aren't worth it, there just is not
anyone left with the time and inclination to learn to bevel by hand on that
type of machine.

here we go with the 'not anyone' sweeping generalizations of speaking
for 'everyone on earth' again - interesting.

I have a friend trying to sell a Denver 30" set. New it
was $13,000 fob Denver, they are down to $2000 and can't move it.
Same thing you have, rougher, smoother,with good Lombard wheel, incurve
rougher and smoother, cork and fiber wheels with polisher(30").
Are you willing to sell them that low? I doubt it.

see my earlier commentaries regarding "quality of machines currently
offered" with too-small bearings, undersized shafts, lightweight steel
frames, too small motors, etc etc. my machines were running about a
century before DGM stuff even existed, and will still be running after
DGM stuff's been melted down and turned to rebar.

By the way, the Smithsonian has a set, as does the Greenfield Village in
Dearborn, and the Center for Creative Studies in Detroit. Bet Wheaton
Village has some too! There isn't anyone left to donate them to either

speaking for 'the entire planet' again? so this means I might not find
a buyer in the next 15 minutes? that's kinda shocking :-/

Offshore and Pacific Rim are heavy into high speed diamond, even they know
its more efficient, nobody does if for the joy and personal satisfaction of
creation.

well, you're _still_ the self-appointed speaker for everyone on the
planet. cool sweeping generalizations. innacurate though they may be.
agreed, though, there aren't 'millions of buyers' waiting, like for
soldering irons and glasscutters, but, hey, that's life. I realize
this is a 'special interest' thing. some guys want dusenbergs, others
just want hyundai's

I bet you knew all this, I just didn't have anything else to do this evening
so I thought I would be the nice guy before saying they are nothing better
than a boat anchor.

you can use yours YOURS for "boat anchors" if you'd like. diff strokes
for diff folks. I'd prefer selling mine, and, if no buyers, using 'em,
like you do yours. you have iron-framed Lange and Homan machines, or
what? do they jiggle, wiggle, and vibrate their way across the floors?
but you're not swapping YOURS in for the denver stuff. ok, I see...