Old September 13th 03, 08:19 AM
KDK

Sounds very cool.

Kathy K
"Deirdre S." wrote in message
I got an outstanding opportunity yesterday. Kalera invited me to watch
while she spent some time in her studio. First I got to see how she
prepped and set up a batch of fused glass cabs. And it confirmed my
instinct that this is something I could do, and really want to aim for
in the future.

Then, after a quick lunch, she went back to the studio and struck up
the torch to do a batch of beads. I saw the process from a bird's eye
view above her right shoulder, and was totally fascinated. I got to
see her program her kiln, pull stringer, gather each of the base beads
onto a mandrel, pre-heat rod ends in the kiln, create surface
decoration (swirlies)... and dip new mandrels for the next session.

It was an absolute blast, and I want to thank her publicly for letting
me in on her work session.

I had a fascinating conversation with her mother as we both watched,
as well. We had many viewpoints and life-experiences in common, and it
was easy to see that Kalera drew a really good number in the Parent
Lottery.

Thanks, Kalera, for being willing to share your artistic process, and
your family. (I also got to meet cat, dog and birds ... but no Moxley
or kids were at home at the time...)

Deirdre