Old April 5th 08, 06:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Dana

Default kiln suggestions

Hi donna. Thanks for the reply. This is what is going on with my firing
situation. My pieces are currently fired in a commercial gas kiln at the
studio i work out of. the colors come out vibrant, the glosses extremely
shiney. I would like to come as close as i can to getting those wonderful
colors. What cone do you tend to fire at? How often does your kiln require
maintenance?

dana

"D Kat" wrote in message
I cannot recommend an electric kiln that can be fired to cone 10. I would
like to point out though that you fire below the temperature that a kiln is
capable of firing to. So a kiln that can fire to cone 10 would be fired to
cone 9 at most. Your elements corrode with time and the temperature they
can reach decreases over time. May I ask are you planning on firing to
cone 10?

I very much like my L&L e28S - (easy fire, 28 width, two rings high - it
also comes as e28T - three rings high). It is rated for cone 10 but I
would never fire that high with it. Donna

"Dana" wrote in message
Hi. I am going to be purchasing my first electric kiln. I want a cone 10
capable. Right now it is only for my use but eventually i am hoping to do
private instruction so i don't want a really small kiln. the kiln will be
in my garage so i am going to also need vent hoods or hoses to get rid of
fumes. I would love to hear some suggestion of size and models and any
other issues i might not be aware of.

Thanks
Dana