Old June 22nd 13, 07:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Steven Cook

Default Sewing Summer Clothes

Hi Amy

I really am a bit excited about this. It will be out of the norm and
something new and fresh as I nearly end my career. I'm hoping it all goes
okay.

Like Bobbie had to do in college, I'm going to have the kids make a
portfolio notebook of all sorts of stuff. It will be desk/lecture stuff
that will get me through all of the drop and adds that happen during the
first two weeks. (Don't get me started on that fiasco.)

Besides the notebook, this is what I have planned as ideas so far:

Chicken pin cushion - for a pin cushion of their own and very basic sewing
techniques
Needle etui - for some hand work and embroidery skills and to hold their
needles. It looks like a small cottage.
Wash cloth baby bib - There is a "horsey" to cut out and clip and turn the
edge under before machine embroidering it on, along with the binding to sew
on.
Three Seam pillow case - For french seams and lining up fabric and a quick
and easy project. And the wow factor of how it turns out.
Duffle bag - Different fabric, thick woven handles to sew on, a zipper and
circles on the ends. I might take my embroider machine in to do their
initials.
Boxer shorts - more of a true pattern and sewing in elastic
Lounge pants - again the same pattern and making a draw string and a button
hole on the waist.
Vest - More of a fitted item, darts, "pockets", button holes, pattern, and
instead of using slippery fabric, use complimentary fabric so it could be
reversible.

That's where I'm at so far. Any other ideas to throw out there would be
most welcome. Remember, this is an introductory semester long class. I
will have the intro class the second semester, with new kids, but I could
possibly have a few Level II kids second semester as well and will need to
come up with some more complex patterns for them.

Always ideas, that is what is fun.

Steven
Alaska

"amy in SoCal" wrote in message
You'll be great at this class! You're so creative. I remember my
sewing/home-ec class. We had to choose a simple pattern, fabric, notions and
tools. The pattern had to include a zipper, curves, darts, at least one
pocket and one button or hook and eye. I think I still have the pattern.
Let me (us) know if you need anything. I'm sure there are plenty of extras
laying around out here.
Good Luck! Have fun!