Old March 27th 17, 09:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Brian Christiansen

Default More about the wonderclips

On 03/24/2017 01:10 AM, Night Mist wrote:

I often dream about going completely metric in sewing. The math would be so much easier!
Just imagine never having to use fractions. Never having to swear at your quilting ruler because it does not have all the "right" fractions. Never having to deal with thirds or fifths because that is how the geometry came out.
Just think of all the math in decimals that you can round to a single place because centimeters are less than half the size of inches and millimeters are 1/10th of that.
I am planning on just ordering a couple of metric quilting rulers off Amazon. I am sick to death of the shops telling me they cannot get them for less than ridiculous prices.
I already use the metric side of my tape measure for most of my garment sewing. Since I draft my own patterns most of the time I can do that pretty painlessly.
I keep a shrink log so I know what the approximate widths of the various fabrics I buy are after prewash. However If you don't prewash all you have to do is multiply by 2.54 to turn inches into centimeters, and divide by that to turn centimeters into inches. Hardly an arithmetic trauma, and you can figure out how much you need in either direction. I often pick up a few metres of this or that when I visit Canada, so my math swings both ways.

NightMist

The conversion from inches to cm or pounds to kilograms or whatever is
no problem for me. Even if it were, it is very easy to install an app
for unit conversion onto a smart phone, which many people have these
days. Even if a person does not have a smartphone, I have never seen a
cellphone (which most people do have) without a calculator of some sort.

Conversion is not a problem for me. Intellectually understanding metric
is not a problem for me. If the world around me all of a sudden changed
to metric (for example the fabric store selling fabric in m/cm instead
of ft/in or the hardware store selling chain or rope in m/cm or milk
being labelled in liters instead of quarts/gallons), I would have no
problems with that. I do not, however think "in metric."

Finally, I would just like to say that, at least to me, fractions and
decimals are just slightly different notations for the same thing.

--
My Yonkoma: https://www.flickr.com/photos/brian0...57680223526176

The E-mail associated with the account is a "spamcatcher" account that I
got to every couple of months to empty out, and anything sent to it will
not be seen for probably several months, if it is seen at all.
Brian Christiansen