Old August 27th 04, 11:39 PM
Rich Grise

Roz Lacey top-posted:

I think I will get someone to attack it but because of the heat generated,
can understand why it was kept locked. The key area is acthually a sort
of
inverted circular area, about 2" in diameter, with 'CK' on it. How can I
close it in safety, after sawing the lock off ? As I am only used to my
own safe hobby kiln with controller, where can I get details of how to use
this test kiln ?. As said previously, 'Cromartie' weren't helpful at all.
The kiln was rescued from amongst the rubble of a demolished school and it
looks as if it has been almost unused. Too good to waste.
Many thanks for all the helpful advice and I am hoping for more ?

Have you tried just picking the lock? It can be surprisingly easy.
Or a 1/2" drill, and you might be able to save the bolt.

Good Luck!
Rich

"Steve Mills" wrote in message
If the key-lock involves a metal *tongue* sticking out from the door in
order for the key to mate with the lock, the problem can be solved with
either a hacksaw or (my preference) an angle-grinder. The locking
mechanism isolated the power when unlocked, so separating them in the
above fashion won't harm the kiln's operation.