Old August 22nd 03, 04:18 PM
psci_kw

Thanks for clarifying this. I can get a better picture of what you
mean, and I might just give it a try. I have a little bit of trouble
with the idea of just using a rib and sponge on leather hard clay--can
you really get enough of a concave surface to your plate? I would
think you'd need a trimming tool to accomplish that, or you'd have a
very flat surface... Actually, though, I can see where you might be
able to get some interesting surface effects by trimming the top
surface with a trimming tool.

Easy...rub the sponge over the surface with the wheel spinning, then carve
with the stainless rib.
you can repeat as often as you like, but that way you are not gouging into
the clay with a trimming tool
(newbies have trouble with gauging depth, and the procedure was designed for
newbies, after all)

We learned a way to throw large plates or serving bowls by throwing a
flat disk (fairly substantial), then attaching a ring to the top
surface to pull up the sides and rim. After cutting the whole thing
off the bat and letting it set up a bit (it was summer, so they sat
out in the sun for awhile), it was turned over and a foot ring
attached and thrown. This was a quick and fairly easy way to make a
large serving-sized plate or bowl (depending on how large the top
ring was, and how high you pulled it up while throwing the ring).

It helps while drying a plate this size to put newspaper under, and
loose plastic over. Give the flat surface of the plate a spritz every
now and then to keep it from bowing up as the foot and sides contract.

There--now we both can play with a new technique!

Thanks, Deb, I will definitely try that. I can imagine HUGE, Voulkos-like
forms coming...gods help me :) I have no room NOW!
Wayne