Old August 20th 03, 07:54 PM
psci_kw

"john n va" wrote in message
et...
Hello All,
I really like your group. I've learned much from the Q&As. I am a new
potter so I have a lot to learn. Can anyone tell me the best way to

remove
a plate from the bat after you throw it? Do you leave it til its dry? If
so, how do you trim a foot ring? I have plastic bats and compressed wood
bats. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Sandi

Sandi:
You can do one of two things:
Use a wire tool to get between the piece and the bat, and saw through to
separate it, or
you can let it get leather hard and try to flex the (plastic) bat to remove
it.
Compressed wood bats are not good for leaving wet clay on to dry. They tend
to absorb
moisture and swell, which ruins them. Some of us use plaster bats, so the
plate can just sit there
and the plaster will help absorb the moisture. Then, the plate just pops
off the bat.

Once the plate is leather hard, you can flip it over onto a different bat,
then center and
hold it in place with a "Griffen Grip" or some wads of clay, and trim your
foot ring on the
wheel (slowly at first, don't go too deep :)

Have you tried throwing the plate face side DOWN and forming the ring as you
work?
That way, when leather hard you can flip it over, secure it to another bat
as above, and only
have to use a stainless rib to smooth the surface of the plate. Some find
that easier.

Good Luck!
Wayne in Key West