Old January 14th 04, 07:20 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Ellice wrote:
[snip] As a matter of interesting
sociology, it seems that during times of economic woe, political upheaval -
the following of professional sports takes an upturn. People become more
involved, obsessive. I don't know why, but it's something that has been
noted over the last century - maybe it's the distraction from things which
they feel they can't control.

I'd like to see some statistics that show this - over the course of
history. Along those lines, the course of history has shown us some
rather nasty adherences to idolatry (men thrown in the lions den while
the crowd cheers; or, public hangings and public beheadings). Just
because a society does it - and it's a majority - doesn't make it
sensible or furthering the culture of a society.

don't watch the games on television, people think your nuts. There's a
LOT of social pressure. And yes, the kids swoon. They bring homes jars
of dirt from the field. Some of our acquaintances have complained. And
wouldn't you rather your tax dollars be spent to send children to a
museum or other place of learning?

So, in a place where the football team, a little town owning the team, the
stadium is something they feel is of premiere importance you're the one who
doesn't. Are people painting epithets on your fence,

As a matter of fact: yes, people have torn up my gardens, toilet
papered my yard, paint-balled my house.

They probably think you're nuts because the
Packers are the biggest thing in Green Bay and a source of pride.

Purchasing baby blankets in packer green with gold helmets, packer
jackets for any age, packer pajamas . . . come on. This isn't
enthusiasm, it's a fetish, and it's not healthy. Pride is one thing. I
used to cheer the Bears, but I didn't have anything in the house (like
kitchen curtains) that had the Bears logo all over it. Nor glasses in
my cupboard.

Until recently, if you went in the local JC Penney store, 2/3's of it
were Packer-related merchandise. That's since changed, thank the gods.

Oh well. I
personally believe that Americans spend way too much money, on entertainment
and those who entertain us - actors and athletes. But, as a society
evidently the majority goes with it.

But that doesn't make the majority correct in their behavior. In fact,
in my opinion, it says something very negative about us.

And it's a skill to be a world class
athlete, or a great actor, so we have to deal with that. It's better than
worshipping gun-fighters in the 19th century, or early 20th.

I don't know of anyone who worshipped gunfighters. Some people did get
some glee out of the Bonnie & Clyde escapades, but that had to do with
the Depression and what many considered unfair banking at that time.

Sure, but even the ancient Greeks place high value on top athletes, the
Romans on gladiators, and these athletes had followings.

As I said: there's a difference between a fan and a fetish.

I stated: State to be represented by the words "Cheeseheads". In
fact, Wisconsin
Public Radio has had quite a bit of discussion on this issue, as has the
capital of Madison.

To which Ellice replied: So, don't wear a Cheesehead. You're just stuck.

Stuck on what? Sanity? Obviously, from my above paragraph, there's
plenty more that think the moniker of "cheesehead" does nothing to
promote the value of the State.

don't think anyone really
thinks that everyone from Wisconsin wears foam cheese on their head. What
about the folks in Milwaukee with Beer Cans instead ;^) ?

You might be surprised. Then again, of course not. But that is a
phrase that has become our State's moniker: Cheesehead. That doesn't
exactly promote us positively.

Y'know you're entitled to your opinion. But, if this is what people want,
and they're happy - it's their right. What right do you really have to say
that they're wrong? If you don't like the socio-economic-cultural
environment, then I'd say find a place that you will like. Have your spouse
do a job search, and move.

This is the same hue and cry, worded slightly differently: "If you
don't like America, leave." Surely you can come up with a better
argument. Have you looked at the labor market lately? The
socio-economic status of the U.S. as a whole?

Some people like to stand up and say, "This isn't helping, it's
hurting." Others don't have to listen, but that doesn't make the
statement "wrong".

Dianne