Old March 26th 09, 01:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W. Rowe[_2_]

Default I need to buy a 'Rolling Mill', any suggestions ?

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 18:31:30 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry "FC..."
wrote:

*I can't
promise I'll be adding all that much, unless you want the thrilling details of
things like my current worries about health insurance and the slowdown in
business. *But that's economics, not jewelry, and possibly not appropriate to
the group. *But if you'd like to keep us informed of your current ideas and
projects, I'm all in favor of it. *

So sure. *So long as it's reasonably on topic for the group, send it in. * Might
be a fun idea.

Peter Rowe
moderator
rec.crafts.jewelry

As a neighbor to the "North", I'd be VERY interested in your
suggestion as to a topic regarding 'Health Insurance' and 'The
Slowdown' ! Why don't you start a new thread and we can offer some
examples of people who are in various places around the World
regarding their situation and input as to the subject matter.....

Why don't you start a NEW thread Peter....

Cheers,

/MM.....

As I said in the sentance after mentioning slowdowns and health insurance, those
topics aren't really jewelry related, except as it regards the specific effect
the current economy is having on the jewelry industry. I'll mention, briefly,
where my comment came from, but would suggest that it cannot become a long
discussion on general economic topics, or the general troubles with health care.
This is still a jewelry/jewelry business specific newsgroup, after all.

Yes, things are slow. Very slow. So cash is tight. And the old phrase, when
it rains, it pours, seems in full force. My employer had to move our location
because the building we were in, and had been in for much of the time since it
started there in 1935, was sold 2 years ago. New owners wanted to more than
double the rental/lease rates when our lease expired at the end of January. So
we're no longer right in downtown Seattle. The new location is in a more
industrial neighborhood, not much fun to walk around, but I don't have to pay
for parking any more. That's good. The bad is that of course, moving incurs
more costs, just as the business is already slowing with the economy. Nobody's
being laid off, but hours are being cut, and they're trying to contain costs
with measures such as dropping the group health insurance policy that had been
getting very costly, and going instead to individual policies. For some reason,
those are cheaper. Oh wait. I know the reason. Now, they can refuse to cover
people with health histories they don't like. Like me, what with 41 years of
type 1 diabetes. Of all the employees, I'm the one who most needs health
insurance coverage (though others do too), and the plans they are trying to move
to, won't take me. Now, this does make me eligible to get the state high risk
insurance pool coverage, which is actually a great policy in terms of what it
covers. The catch is that the premium is over a thousand dollars a month, which
I certainly cannot afford. What we'll end up doing remains uncertain. Thus my
comment about health insurance worries. As the evening news will tell you, I'm
not alone. Lots of employers, not just in our industry, are having to reduce or
drop health insurance benefits. All I can do is hope the new administration
doesn't waste too much time in revamping health care in the U.S.so people like
me who actually really need it to survive, can manage to afford it. And while
we're at it, doing whatever it takes to get people spending money on jewelry
again. Specifically, the jewelry that will put our company, all of you, and
others hurt by this situation, back in the black. I'm guessing that if they
manage that, the rest of the economy is gonna be doing pretty well again too.

Nuff said, OK? Followup posts should be within the topic restrictions of this
group, please. At least enough so that I can justify allowing them without too
much of a stretch in imagination... :-)

Peter Rowe
moderator
rec.crafts.jewelry