Old November 17th 13, 01:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Stumpy[_2_]

Default Singer 4411HD advice

Not an appropriate machine for that work at all.
If anything I would try the 3 stepo zigzag on a very short stitch
length. But that is way to heavy work for a machine like that.,

Thanks for the input. I already bought the machine, so I won't give up
on it yet. Singer didn't give the motor amp specs - maybe they aren't
proud of them. It pushes the needle through the material, I just make a
mess using the all purpose foot without the feed dog engaged.

Can I feed the cloth from all four directions with a darning/embroidery
foot?

Have you lowered the presser bar even though there is no foot? If not
there is no tension on the top thread.

Yeah, I do put the foot down, but maybe the pressure was set too high.

Today I went to a Janome dealer because there are no Singer ones nearby.
They had a low shank universal darning foot that fits my machine. It's like
this one, but the bracket is metal, not plastic.

http://www.amazon.com/Low-shank-Open.../dp/B0038REG2A

It's wonderful. I can write my name with it and will try some thicker tasks
tomorrow.