Old November 30th 03, 08:13 AM
Micheline Golden

I think if you are producing the dress for yourself there is no problem,
anyway. If you were reproducing them to sell commercially, it might be
another story.

My daughter shows horses and I make all of her show clothes. They don't
just wear your run-of-the-mill western wear; it's all very fitted,
embellished, specialized and trendy. I get all the high-end horse show
clothes catalogs, and copy from them for her. We've gotten very good at it,
and we are extremely appreciative of the catalogs that give us a BACK view,
too!

"Joy Hardie" wrote in message
I think if you copy something for mass production re-sale you have to
change or modify it by 30% to make it legal (from what I recall in my
baby swimwear production days).
But, if you are just making something for yourself can you copy
something you have seen from a major designer to the best of your
ability?

What are the legalities of taking pictures in the dressing room?

Ok, ok......I have a confession. I should have never done it. I knew
it was a bad idea from the start. But, I went with a friend, just to
make a return to the "special occassions" department and have lunch at
the department store. A dress caught my eye....just a glimpse from
the corner. I shouldn't have turned to give it a second look, but
oooh when I did I fell in love. In love with a $330 dress! A dress
that seconds later, before my friend could put her return money back
in her purse, I was swanking around the dressing room in. It was bias
cut and look perfectly wonderful - with no bra mind you!
One bad idea quickly follows another and soon I had my husband at the
store....just to show him. Because I havn't spent $330 on all the
dresses I have ever owned much less on just one that I would have
absolutely no place to wear anyway (except my friend wanted me to get
it so badly that she immediately invited my husband and self to a
black tie affair). But, the dress was sold. I was just looking at it
anyway. Enjoying the fantasy of windowshopping to the max.
But, now I am visiting the dress at the designers website.

Something is terribly wrong with me and I must get that dress!
But, in a legally approved seamstress sort of a way.
So, in copying ready-made garments, what's legal and what's not?
Joy