Old January 10th 09, 06:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Adrian

Default Double-glazed units & stained glass ?

HI Chemo

Chemo the Clown wrote:
On Jan 10, 9:46 am, Adrian wrote:
HI Chemo
Ah right - that's a thought....
is that something that your d/g unit man supplied - or did yu source
that yourself ?

I have a flat glass shop that does my units. I've worked with for
almost 20 years. They discount to me and I discount to them on
specialty glass. It's a good business relationship that benefits both
of us.

Excellent - that's the kind of thing I'm hoping for with my local d/g
shop. They used to refer clients to another studio - but he retired last
year - so I'm hoping to build up one of those 'win/win' relationships g

OK - thanks.
The local d/g man did say 'we'll not guarantee it' - but I guess he's
just covering his a**e g

Not only that but he can't control the weight of the panel inside.
Lots of the new sidelight casing only have about a 5/8" wide lip so
with a 3/8" spacer bar and an 1/8 for the butyl there's not much
covered up with the wood trim. The inner unit doesn't have to sink
much before you can see a space at the very top.

Fair point...

He also suggested the use of small 'bump stops' in the centre of wider
windows - in case the stained glass should bend or warp.... I guess
that's a possibility, if the window was (say) top-hinged - and left open
in the heat of the summer sun. He reckoned that these little bump stops
were all but invisible in use...

Not sure about the bump stop thing. Leaded units are really close to
5/16" thick and with the space inside the IG being 3/8, there's not
much chance, if any, of the stained glass warping or bending. Butyl is
strong stuff. Same with the adhesive on the SuperSpacer. Get a small
unit built...let it sit around a month or two and then try to take it
apart.

I was planning on doing the panels tiffany-style - which will maybe be a
little thinner - but I think the best plan is to suck it & see...

Thanks
Adrian