Old June 18th 07, 10:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

Default More on centerpull balls

"Aaron Lewis" wrote in message
. net...
The Cottage Craft Yarns that I like, come in tied skeins that must be
balled before they tangle! The last time I was knitting in the backroom
at Big Sky Yarns, the clerk must have some in 3 or 4 times (over 3 hours)
to wind different yarns that customers had bought as skeins and wanted
wound into balls. So I would say that there is still some traffic in
commercial yarns sold in loose skeins.

I like skeins for some yarns because they can be washed and dyed.

Yes but it's hard to find commercial yarn in skeins here. Hand spun wool is
a different matter.

When I was a child all bought wool was in hanks, then winders were invented
and the balls took off. As it were.

Mary