Old December 17th 08, 12:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Adrian

Default 'Serious' soldering iron - recommendations please ?

HI Folks

My usual weapon of choice is a temperature-controlled Weller 100W iron -
which works very well for tiffany-style suncatchers, tealights and so on.

Recently, I've been getting more commissions for copper-foil-based
window / door panels - with correspondingly longer seams to be soldered.

The Weller iron doesn't seem to be quite 'meaty' enough for these larger
panels - I'm not after 'turbo-soldering' performance g - but it'd be
nice to know that there was sufficient heat there to be able to run a
seam without having to pause for the iron to catch up.

So - what's your favourite iron for those slightly bigger jobs ?
I've no plans to diversify into leaded windows - but I guess it'd be
good if the 'serious' iron was capable of doing that as well, if need be.

One recommendation was for the Esico 150w iron and a Glastar controller
- but I'm open to any other suggestions.

I'm in Ireland - but I do have 110v 'plumbed in' to the Studio

Thanks in advance
Adrian
www.inspired-glass.com