Old April 3rd 14, 05:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
mirjam

Default Knitting a Patch

On Sunday, March 9, 2014 1:45:38 AM UTC+2, Monica Ferris wrote:
Monica Best of Luck with the New book !!!!

We learned to darn on a `Darning Mushroom` [if you never saw one , i found some examples on http://www.ebay.com/bhp/darning-mushroom
I still got an old that was My Husband`s grand Ma. When we did not have one ready we used a turned small drinking cup ..

Ah, he's using a darning egg, thought Betsy. The smooth wooden implements came in various sizes and shapes - some more like a computer mouse than an egg. It was generally the truly egg-shaped that had handles on them. They slipped inside socks or the arms and even the backs of sweaters that had worn or torn a hole in themselves.

It made mending them easier by freeing both hands for the work and by preventing the stitcher from stitching the front onto the back.

We always held the the sock tightly with one hand and mended with the other , never saw or heard anybody who had 2 free hands to mend ,,,

There's something satisfying about mending a hand made garment, she thought. Ours is a throw-away society, it's good to push back against that once in
awhile

THE TREND Now is mending repairing reusing recycling

Godwin did not glance up. He had threaded a darning needle appropriate to the thickness of the yarn used to knit the stocking. The yarn he was threading was a bright orange to match the area where a hole had worn through.

EXCELLENT

"And now I take some of the leftover yarn from your stocking, which you wisely kept per my advice, and note I cut a length of it longer than you might think you'll need, because it's ever so easy to cut the extra off than try to pick up and continue with a new length."

EXCELLENT

iF HE IS KNITTING THE PATCH THERE IS NO NEED TO HOLD A DARNING EGG OR MUSHROOM INSIDE THE SOCK IN FACT IT WILL HINDER THE KNITTING
mirjam