Old March 10th 14, 03:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joy Beeson

Default Knitting a Patch

The passage looks good to me.

When the student gets to the top of the patch, she is going to have to
graft it to the original knitting. Grafting is duplicate stitch over
stitches that aren't there. But the viewpoint character left before
the lesson got that far, so there's no need to worry about it.

I always use interlocking rows of buttonhole stitch
http://roughsewing.home.comcast.net/~roughsewing/PVENISED.HTM, but I
think that that is somewhat unusual. (My theory is that woven darns
on socks got established when people darned so many woven fabrics that
they could make a woven darn work on *anything*.)

When I get a hole in the toe of a sock, I rip the entire toe off, pick
up the stitches, and re-knit the same way I did the first time. There
is a ripple where new stitches spring from old, flattened stitches
that never blocks out.

I use duplicate stitch only on very small patches of damage, or very
valuable garments. If there is anything at all left of the original
stitches, duplicate stitch hardly requires instruction: Just cover up
the existing yarn. (Magnifying glasses help.)

If the garment is *really* valuable, I will use a separate piece of
yarn for every row of duplicate stitch, and break the yarn by pulling
out individual fibers so that there isn't any clear end. The last bit
that won't work in a needle can be tucked in with a crochet hook.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://joybeeson.home.comcast.net/