Old August 21st 07, 02:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

Default People powered machines [was Got me a treadle!]

In article ,
IMS wrote:

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 12:37:08 -0000, Ginger in CA
wrote:

Yeah! And I got my treadle named Maria a couple of weeks ago. She need
some clean-up, and her oak finish may need some replacing in places,
but she is a beauty!

Question on hand-cranks. I have several old machines, like a 66-15 and
15-91, and would like to find out where to go to get one of them
changed to a hand-crank. I think. Does anyone use a handcrank? How do
you manage with only one hand to handle the fabric?

Thanks in advance. and congratulations Sue on your new-to-you treadle!

Ginger in CA

I use my handcrank when the power goes out; when it went out for three
days earlier this year I was thankful I had it! The only thing I did
realize I missed is reverse...the 99 does not have reverse...so I may
move the crank setup to a 201-3 or 15-91 both of which have external
motors and reverse.

It's very easy to handle the fabric because you naturally have to go
slower.

And, it's easy to do the conversion, too. All that is needed is the
raised motor boss mount hole (a machine with a threaded hole where the
motor bracket is hooked to) - a crank - and a spoked wheel. This what I
did to my 99 that had brittle wiring but was otherwise in great shape.

I purchased an original Singer hand crank from Glenn Williams - about
$30 because I wanted 'real' parts not reproduction,

http://www.sewalot.com/sewing_machine_link_page.htm

...and I took a spoked wheel off of a $5 machine I picked up at the
thrift and then removed the wires and motor off the 99 -- which was
*free* 99 (it had toasted wires which is why it was free) two years ago.
It works great.

Here's my machine: http://tinyurl.com/3yrp2s

Here's more on the how'to:

http://www.treadleon.net/sewingmachi...onverting.html

-Irene
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough."
- Mae West

Oh my, Irene! You have the twin to my machine! Here's a photo of mine:
http://www.sandymike.net/Sewing%20Machines.html. G

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sfoster 1 (at) earthlink (dot) net (remove/change the obvious)