Old August 14th 07, 01:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Aaron Lewis

Default need input on new needles please!

Finish with tung oil if the wood is not real hard and smooth.
Tung oil really does produce a nice finish, but it is a lot of work,
expensive, and stinky.

Other varnishes do work.

In any case, I like to finish with satin fnishing wax, buffed very smooth.

Aaron

"myswendy" wrote in message
ups.com...
I drove myself crazy trying to find my lovely 10-1/2 wooden DPNs for
several days to do some I-cords. I finally got the bright(??) idea of
cutting my own out of the right-sized dowel (1/4-inch), which I did. I
presume it's pine. Anyway, I got 4 quite decent DPNs from the dowel
with nice points.

I am looking for suggestions for finishing them---not sure whether to
use polyurethane, tung oil (and if so, how dilute and with what),
butcher's wax, whatever. Input, please? Thanks guys!

Oh-- One more thing--how would you suggest I mark the size on them?
(or on ANY of my wooden ones, for that matter).

Wendy
A Knitting Fool in Connecticut