Old February 18th 04, 09:23 AM
Sarah Carter

NoraBalcer wrote in message =
Hi Sarah,
=20
What are Sami knitting patterns? I have never heard of them so I'm not =

much
help to you. I do have some old knitted mitten patterns that I would =

gladly
share with you, just let me know.

From what I gather from our recent trip to Finland, they are the people =
from Lapland.=20
For more information about them there is a link here=20
http://virtual.finland.fi/finfo/english/saameng.html

I tried to buy some traditional Finnish mittens in Finland, but I didn't =
realise that=20
shops shut on a Monday in Finland, so missed them when we went to buy =
them=20
on our last day there.

I asked a Finnihs friend and she said that they were the type of gloves =
that=20
Grandmas make for their grandchildren, and that was who had made hers =
usually,=20
but she had just learnt to make her own pair.

In particular I'm looking for the mitterns which have a pointed end =
similar to the=20
ones at http://www.spellingtuesday.com/archive-2003-02.html on the cover =
of=20
the Cast On magazine.=20

They seem to have a detailed intarsia pattern in a traditional Finnish =
style.
The ones I've seen are knitted in a thick wool dyed in natural colours.=20
Maybe a Aran weight, and looked homespun too.=20

I'm hoping to make them a long term project I can make them from start =
to finish,=20
including spinning the wool on a spindle, dying the wool, and knitting =
them.

I don't seem to be able to find a picture of any on the internet though.

Sarah
--=20