Old March 31st 09, 07:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Graver

Default Are some gemstones too fragile for every day use?

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 18:09:56 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry George Mauer
wrote:

Hello,
I am looking for an engagement ring and I've determined that my price-
range ($1500) should be enough to allow me to get a decent mounting
with a nice bling-y semi-precious stone. *Probably I would like
something large, shiny and purple or pink.

(snip)

George,

You'd be suprised at what you can find on Ebay in the way of
Sapphires, I've purchased some beautiful yellow, as well as flawless
reds that in reality are in the same family as Rubies. I've purchased
1/2 carat Moissanite for very good prices that make a great look. I
think you should stay with round stones, as they'll have more settings
for you to choose from, and also you'll get the most flash from a
brillant round cut.

Just some thoughts.