Old July 1st 08, 01:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tia Mary

Default Can not use a thimble?

Polly Esther wrote:
I've tried everything that's been offered as a thimble. Silver, brass,
open, closed, rimmed, ultrasuede, leather. Everything...sniped...
I snipped some sort of ½" squares of Johnson-Johnson Heavy-Duty
Waterproof FirstAid tape and stacked them on the pad of my 'push' finger.
Then, I secured them with one wrap of tape ending on top of the fingernail.
....snipped....Happy Polly

Have you never tried the little sticky back pads made specifically
for this purpose? I have acrylic nails and can't use a thimble either
but the little sticky pads work a treat!! Nice round suede ones are
available but they are a tad $$$ (compared to the plastic ones) so I
often use the heavy clear plastic oval ones instead. I have seen both
types in local craft shops. The ovals are a bit too large for my finger
so I usually cyt them in half and trim off the little pointy corners.
I tried other things like heavy tapes, etc. but they just seemed a
bit too bulky for me. It's also difficult to get tapes, etc. to fit
nicely around my nails and my threads are always getting hung up on the
tape that is on the bak of my nail. The little premade sticky back
bads -- either plastic or suede -- work perfectly. It's worth the few
dollars they cost to give them a try, especially if they work for you
:-). AND when you take the little pad off, you can use it over again
several times if you are careful and stick it back on the paper it came
with. That makes it even better and REALLY worth the $$$ spent --
frugal is GOOD LOLOL! CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary