Old May 23rd 07, 05:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Olwyn Mary

Default Lion Incredible ribbon yarn for sweater?

Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply wrote:

I have sewn for 30-some-odd,
almost 40-some-odd years, and my pleasure in sewing is the finished
product. Yes, I make mistakes, but they are lessons to learn in the
pursuit of the perfectly-fitting, perfect color, perfect fiber content,
etc. garment, and the joy of that finished lasts a LOOOOOONG time. But
the process of pinning, sewing, trimming edges, cutting out patterns?
It's not the part I enjoy -- I enjoy the planning process and the
finished garment, and the construction is just the long trip to get me
from point A to point B. And the mistakes to learn something are part
of the planning process as well.

You may not understand that, but honestly, it works for me. Or maybe
it's just a matter of semantics.

You and me both, Melinda. Sorry for not answering sooner, but Teranews
seems to have been sleeping at the switch the last few days, and I have
only rec'd about a dozen messages a day total on all the boards I read.
Anyway, I went over to Google to see what was going on, and this is
what I think................. As you have been away from knitting for a
while, I recommend you get some reasonable quality acrylic yarn - if it
feels even slightly harsh or scratchy in the skein it will be even worse
on - buy a traditional style pattern to go with it, do a gauge swatch,
and get going. Either a worsted or a chunky weight yarn will do,
although I prefer worsted in this climate. IMO, a "regular" style
pattern, with a back, two sleeves and two fronts is easier to knit in
odd minutes here and there, and you can measure progress more simply.
As you are short and cuddly you may need to adjust both sleeve length
and torso length unless you prefer your cardigans hip length and your
sleeve cuffs turned up.

Feel free to e-mail me off-list if (when) you need more info.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.