Old September 2nd 17, 04:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Violet Stitches

Default A Finish!

Lol, we had a craze for them back then but in reality they were the
way young girls learned their stitching for the future, historically
they are quite interesting to read about, for sure there would be
books about them on amazon or ebay.

I've always been too busy stitching to research the history of stitching, but this fine morning I had some time on my hands and did some reading. It's pretty interesting stuff! There are several great articles about samplers on the internet (both "band" style and "spot" style samplers), and if anyone else is interested, here's two links giving all sorts of information about historical samplers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampler_(needlework)

http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/article...y-of-samplers/