Old January 7th 09, 03:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Linda7768

Default pure gold not so pure?

On Dec 4 2008, 11:57*am, Clara Semps wrote:

Sounds to me very much like the spots you get with 24K plating. Being a
purer gold, if you plate in 24K, the brass underneath tends to leqk
through much quicker and easier. It's possible that your ingot is not
solid, but plated. Bummer. But not the first time I've seen these
fakes. If you're purchasing gold for use in making your own jewelry,
you'd be better off buying Gold Casting grains from *legitimate
supplier like Rio Grande. The grains mke it very easy to only melt the
amount you need with minimal waste.

Clara

In article , m4816k

wrote:
Recently I saw that on the surface of one of my 24k ingots, a small brown
dot developed, and it was while the piece was still in original package
(cardboard/plastic). I thought that some dirt may have entered the space
within, and decided to take it out to see if it can be cleaned. I used a dry
soft cloth but not just that it didn't go away, but the other day I saw two
more of the kind (a few months after the first). They look like some
"greasy" dots of about 1 mm in size and are transparent (like they're done
with liquid). What might that be? There were none when the piece was new and
they showed up on just that one piece.- Hide quoted text -

What is the differences between gold plated and gold filled? I was
told that gold-filled is better than gold-plated, and just bought a
pearl necklace that has lots of gold beads (gold filled) on it. From
the seller site http://www.jewelryten.com, it said that "there is
approx 100 times more gold in gold fill, than there is on regular gold
plating", is this true? Is it possible for gold-filled to develop any
brown dots in the future?
They have the similar product with 14k gold beads, but the price is
much higher. Is it worth to pay more $100 for replacing gold-filled
with 14k gold beads?