Old January 2nd 06, 02:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Crochet Hook Size 7

Yep, that's what I thought, Anastasia.

Higs,
Katherine

Teacher Gal wrote:
Nora,

Going by millimeter measurement, a 7mm hook would be above a K. Perhaps an
L? I don't have one on hand, so can't check for you. I
know they make them, though they're hard to find. N's, P's, and Q's
are easier to locate.
By the numbering system we use here in the states, it would fall
exactly between a G and an H.

Knitting needles in size 7 (UKor US standard) would be 4.5mm in
diameter, which would equate to a size G hook diameter.

Another possibility is that the pattern was designed before the major
manufacturers really standardized the measurements. I have an old
Gem hook that's listed as size I/9, but it's 6mm in diameter. Every
hook I see now that happens to be 6mm in diameter is a J/10. If this
is the case, then the pattern may actually call for an H.

Size 7 steel hooks (no letter) are made, but I'm certain they're too
small for anything except crochet cotton thread. It's the steel hook
size we tended to run out of most often at Hobby Lobby, and it's also
the one I use most often, unless I'm crocheting with sewing thread
(13/14 steel one for that).

I guess the best thing to do would be see if the stitches in any
examples are fairly tightly placed together, or loose and "floppy". If
it's floppy, go with a hook around the L or so. If not, just keep
trying from G and on up until you find a hook that matches your
gauge. Personally, I'd start with the H, as it seems to be what my
gut tells me is most likely.
Anastasia

---not that you'd really need to be told all that last bit, but I
added it because who knows who might check the archives for this
later on?