Old February 24th 10, 09:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

Default Results of those Long, Cold February Days.

John wrote:
On Feb 23, 9:54 pm, "BEI Design"
wrote:
John wrote:
Atta Girl. I love plaids that match. I have done a few
shirts wherein
the breast pocket is lost in the pattern. Love it.
John

A couple of those links were reversed, sorry. You really
haven't lived until you make a real kilt from genuine
Scottish tartan. I made several kilted skirts when I was in
high school, so when my DD asked if I would make my
granddaughter's competition kilt I said sure, thinking I
would sew it on the sewing machine.

Almost every stitch in a real kilt is sewn by hand. Took me
44 hours on the "practice" kilt, 50 on the real deal. All
the pleats are stitched down from the waist to the bottom of
the "fell" (the hip level), the facings are all hand sewn in
place, the lining is hand sewn, there is darted hair canvas
in the hip area (I'll get pictures of that process up
later), a waist stay... with the exception of the first row
of stitching on the CB join and the application of the
waistband, *everything* is stitched by hand. I thought it
was nuts, but came to realize it's the only way to get all
those pleats to match perfectly.

This is the book I used to guide me through the process:http://www.amazon.com/Art-Kilt-Makin.../dp/0970375107

I am looking forward to making a pleated-to-the-sett kilt
for my son-in-law.

--
Beverlyhttp://ickes.us/default.aspx

I had no idea that a kilt was that complex. I have made a number of
pleated skirts for my wife, but never anything that complex. But like
any number of specialized clothing types, there is a lot of technical
undercover stuff that you wouldn't know about unless you did that sort
of thing, regularly. That looks like a fun, if demanding project. If I
had any nieces or other relatives, who were into the highland fling
"thing", I would like to take a shot at doing one of them, but sadly
all of those younger relatives are layabouts, and not interested. I
wonder if the same sort of thing pertains to Irish dance costumes.
That would be closer to my own heritage, than the kilt. But from
outward appearances, the costumes do differ. The Irish tend to be
flared out, and not pleated.
John

Irish dance costumes are generally hidious and seem to be based on some
awful offspring of a colision between a 1960's skating dress and a suit
of armour! More upholstery than frock! They have no basis in any sort
of national costume.

Some of the embroidery patterns are glorious, but the finished frocks?
Ugh! Just *my* opinion, of course. YMMV...

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!