Old June 29th 06, 08:13 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

Default Replacing bra shelf foam with horsehair?

Sorry, Pora. I did not mean to sound so terse or bossy! It was late
and I was in a hurry... sorry.

In article . com,
"wurstergirl" wrote:

Oh, oops. I should have described this better. Here's a picture of
the bra I'm hoping to copy for her:

http://www.herroom.com/Glamorise-Mag...lam01-1005,4.h
tml

The foam shelf I'm referring to is a 4-inch wide strip inside the lower
cups, like a bandarin in a custom-fit bra. You can see it through the
cup fabric in the Fitter's Comments picture. Other brands sometimes
make this element an entire sling around the breast and hang it from
the strap. This particular brand criss-crosses the flat foam under one
breast and over the other, turning it up to become a padded strap.

Yes, I understand what you are talking about. Most bras of any
consequence are made of power-net these days but it still does not
provide much of a structure for a 48J unless you make it so tight as to
bind her. I do like the way the back is made on the bra. But it's
still not enough for the size in question. We're talking Enell for 48J
methinks. This lady needs compression, coverage and structure.

This is a bit like a sports bra with the cups of a heavy Cool-Max type
fabric. The frame is actually entirely of power net. (Huh?) The foam
bandarin is stretchy under the breast and switches to stable above.
Can a less sweaty replacement to the foam be found? Suggesting
horsehair was my attempt at thinking outside the box, but maybe that
wandered 'way off into the woods :-) It's been a while since I
handled it.

While I still don't think the bra has enough supporting structure to
support a shelf that actually works, an alternative would be to run a
corset channel on the underside of the cup where it would not show (it
would be curved to conform with the "sling" in the picture and the
channel would have to connect to the center and sides of the bra. Then
you fill the channel with a spiral steel bone like this:

http://www.farthingales.on.ca/spiral_bones.php

I think it was Goddess that made a long-line strapless bra for amply
endowed women.... I have one somewhere but I vastly prefer a corset to
it. Anyway, it has spiral steel bones that run diagonally over the
entire cup just above the nipple IIRC. And no, incredibly, it did not
show. But it was damned uncomfortable which is why I opted for corsets.
I can't recall whether the bones ran from the middle out or the reverse.
I lean toward the reverse.

Phae

Yes Phae, I would very much like to put her in underwires. We haven't
found one to copy yet, so I might have to pattern that from scratch.

Pora

--
I fear me you but warm the starved snake
Who, cherished in your breasts, will sting your hearts. (Henry VI,Shakespeare)