Old February 12th 10, 04:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
ted frater

Default Silver Blueing

Jack Schmidling wrote:
I lost my access to usenet so I kind of lost track of this group.

As some of you may remember, I made some hand forged flatware a few
years ago.

details: http://schmidling.com/silver.htm

We use the knife and fork at dinner every day and it gets washed with
soap and a Scotchbrite sponge so it stays clean and bright.

In the past few months we have noticed that the tines show a blue
color reminiscent of the tempering stages while hand forging.

It takes a bit of an effort to get rid of but in a few days it comes
back again but only the tines.

It has been at least 5 years since I made these but the tines never
looked any different from the rest of the fork and this problem just
started a few months ago.

Any ideas?

Jack Schmidling

Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber, Gems,
Nature, Radio, Sheep, Sausage, Silver

http://schmidling.com

Welcome back,
Now, im guessing here, but something in your lifestyle has changed.
It could be the soap tho most folk dont use soap as is generally known
to do the dishes, they use a detergent, tho you might be tho odd one
that uses traditional soap.
Or you may have changed the type of heating you have in your home.
There have been cases where folk have gone from a coal based domestic
heat source to gas. This has caused silver ware to discolour much more
quickly, due to the sulphur in the gas combustion by products.
or more fundamental still, youve changed your water supply from say a
local spring or rain water, to a mains or municipal supply.
Or youve started to use your cutlery on a different food , on a regular
basis. for example you might have started eating a food that has a
tarnishing effect.
Or even your now downwind from some other contaminant caused by another
neibour or business, even many miles away.
Have a think and see if you can find something along the linesmentioned
above.
Hope you keeping well,
regards from dorset UK.