Old April 9th 09, 10:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Default How to melt a penny

Abrasha wrote:
Muso wrote:

It is illegal to melt pennies.

So, why are you going out of your way to explain how to melt a penny?

BTW, your method results in a zinc contaminated copper melt, unsuitable
for use in gold alloys.

Well, while I cannot vouch for anyone's manipulation of US coins (and
more particularly paper currency) it's my understanding that melting,
stretching, cutting,soldering, etc. would only be illegal if it were
proven to be for 'fraudulent' purposes. Of course, it doesn't mean you
couldn't get arrested, held or otherwise inconvenienced. But i doubt
melting any of our coins is illegal.

Now making a mold and CASTING them........yeah, that's probably going to
get you put in PMITA prison.

Carl