Old March 16th 09, 12:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
FC...

Default I need to buy a 'Rolling Mill', any suggestions ?

On Mar 14, 12:16*pm, Peter W. Rowe
wrote:
On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 10:54:23 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry "FC..."

wrote:
Well those are both some pretty good points to consider...

Question regarding the 'Combo Mills or Wire Only Mills'.

What is it that you jewelers make the most of with the 'grooved'
portion of the rollers. *I understand that they make Square and Half
Round wire... Is that correct ? *

(snip)
But everyone's needs differ, as you can tell in part by the differences between
my comments and Abrasha's. *

Hope that helps.

Peter Rowe

Yep,

That worked for me ! Now I have a MUCH better understanding of how
these things work ! Where would I be without you experience
people ?? No doubt trying to roll SILVER ingots through a "Slip Roll"
or something....
Awesome freaking advice from you all and I'm a happy camper as a
result.

The wire thing for me is definitely NOT as important as the "FLATS" of
the Mill... Especially since I'm rolling Silver, Gold, Copper, Brass,
etc. Finished wire is normally what I like to use and having to make
it myself (with drawplates and such...) just isn't 'worth it' at THIS
point. I think I'll continue to buy my wire as such and will purchase
the "FLAT ROLLING MILL" only. Likely the Durston 130.

If and when I'm ready to do a LOT of wire, I think I'll then either
sell my MILL and buy a DUAL rolling machine, or I'll add a WIRE only
machine to the Durston 130. Yes, that will work nicely and I won't
have to worry about buying such an EXPENSIVE combo machine with the
possibility of 'coming up short' (so to speak...) when it comes to
effective ingot rolling and "Patternizing" various metals !

Thanks for all the help.... I FREAKIN' love this group !

CHEERS,

/FC....