Old June 7th 07, 07:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

Default Wine coolers

If you want it that chilled then what you want is a container larger enough
to hold the bottle, and the width of the ice cube (plus when you are making
it the percent shrinkage you will get in the clay between making and last
firing). You put in ice and water (half way up), then your wine bottle.
The water allows the ice to move freely and you don't have to worry about
getting the bottle in and out. You would want a towel of course to wipe the
bottle down or you could simple put it in a decorative plastic bag that the
bottle could then slip in and out of. This is what they do for Champaign
and many other chilled drinks.

Donna

"Elaine Stutt" wrote in message
"Bubbles_" ) writes:
"Red Deer" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Everyone,
I've been invited to sell my pots at a wine festival in June. I make
stoneware pots but I wanted to make some wine cooler pots for this
event and I was wondering if stoneware will work as a wine cooler.
All my glazes are cone 6. If I just bisque them, will that work? I
want to at least put some glaze on maybe the bottom third of the pot.
Do I need to make the little saucer for it to sit on? Does anyone
know if stoneware wine coolers work if they are fired to cone 6?
Thanks,
Sandi

Stoneware does not absorb water. Wine-coolers cool because the water they
have lain in has been absorbed and then evaporates. The evaporation
causes
the cooling.

It is so that unglazed porous ware will cool by evaporation, but it may
not cool that much or that fast. I've found that those wines that are
designed to be consumed cold or icy, lose quality fast as they warm.
I was pondering making a wine cooler and, for me, it would have to contain
ice so glazed stoneware would be fine.

I was thinking of making a double walled one ( I may have seen one ).
The wine bottle is in the center and a perforated wall keeps the ice
away from the bottle so it's easy to pull out and put back in. The wall
is perforated so the water can cool the bottle. Water and ice cools
faster than just ice and salted ice water is supposed to be the best.

Unfortunately, double walls will end up making it bigger and heavier.
Could you put some of those freezer packs in to avoid using bulky
ice cubes? Details details.

Elaine