Old October 2nd 06, 10:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Eastern Edge

Default Knitting/Crocheting from unspun wool

Wooly wrote:
On 2 Oct 2006 10:23:10 -0700, "Jenn" spewed forth
:

Hi Ladies.

I am mostly a lurker in this realm, but I have been crocheting for 16+
years and knitting (Self taught) for almost a year now.

I picked up this month's (actually November's) Crochet! magazine and it
had a nice article on crocheting from unspun wool.
So my question is does any one here knit or crochet from unspun wool
and just how hard is it?

I do, sometimes. Most of the "unspun knitting" patterns call for
pencil roving similar to White Buffalo stuff - it's been made ready
for spinning and drawn out into a fine strand but doesn't actually
have twist insert into it. Working with it is about as difficult as
working with White Buffalo or with unspun Icelandic. There have been
several articles about it in both SpinOff and Knits during the past
couple of years.

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...

The White Buffalo is my 'new find' and I've been enjoying it. I do
tend to twist it as I crochet as it's fairly easy to pull apart as you
apply tension. I've also used an improvised drop spindle with it to
add some twist.

I find the biggest issue is breakage; I'd recommend (not that I did,
though) a swatch or two, just so you can get used to how much tension
you can apply to the wool before it breaks...my first attempts had
plenty of splicing. Even just twisting it slightly as you work (does
it on its own if you're working crochet back and forth) makes a big
difference.

Michelle