Old July 6th 05, 10:57 AM
Abrasha

I forgot to mention, the following.

If you do decide to import cameos from Germany, have them sent via
regular mail (Deutsche Bundespost) and not anything like FedEx, DHL or UPS.

I import seamless gold tubing, beads and chains regularly from Germany,
and always have it sent via regular mail, because that saves me a lot of
money on import duties, for the simple reason, that the shipments almost
always slip through the cracks of the system. Sometimes I do have to
pay the import duties, and I just write a check to the mail man.

Not so when FedEx or DHL are used though. Those people ALWAYS use their
brokerage services to clear the packages through customs. Packages do
not slip through. But that is not the bad part. They often make
mistakes (actually they make mistakes practically every time), and also
charge me for the "privilege" of doing this for me, even though I have
never asked them to offer a brokerage service for me.

They will assess import fees over the wrong amount, often make up
amounts that are totally fictitious, and charge at the wrong rate.
Right now I am in a dispute with DHL that has been going back to a
shipment in February in which they assessed import duties over the
incorrect amount, even though the required invoice was both on the
outside of and inside the shipment. They even has the audacity to
assess import duties over the shipping charges, and they charged a fee
for "advancing the money". I refused to pay. They have been trying to
correct everything since February and continue to charge me the wrong
amount. I am actually beginning to have fun with it. I have told them
that i will pay, when they get the bill right. That may be a while.

The only times I used FedEx or DHL, has been when I needed the
merchandise quickly. I have always regretted it. The downside of
regular mail, is that it takes longer, typically around two weeks,
sometimes a bit longer. So make sure you order in a timely manner.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com