Old October 17th 05, 08:44 AM
spinninglilac

Default Dorset crosswheel button instructions

You will need time on your hands if you try them out Katherine, They can be
fiddly when you start to do them, As I rarely use them as buttons but for
decorations I use any size ring..lol Wool Silk whatever..Cheers....Cher

"Katherine" wrote in message
That is really interesting. I wish I had more time! I have saved these
instructions and the page you sent earlier, and maybe I'll get to try them
next year.

Katherine

spinninglilac wrote:
Found this on the net if anyone is interested and wants to try it
out. This says to make them with Linen thread, but we make them out
of yarn, adding beads to the spokes etc..Bit of history then how to
do them...Cheers...Cher

Here is a variation in the directions:
From The Lady's Guide to Plain Sewing, Book II:

The buttons usually used for shirts and personal linen were thread
buttons. A well organized cottage industry, begun in 1622, in Dorset,
England, gave rise to the name of numerous styles, including the
Dorset Crosswheel. First bone discs then metal rings were used to
make many of the buttons. They should be made without a break in the
ring, such as those used for Roman shades and curtains. Those of 3/8
inch inside diameter are a good size.

To make a dorset crosswheel button, a linen thread of 40/2 or a
similar size, usually bleached, is used to stitch the buttons. You
will need a piece at least two yards long for each button.

The first step is called casting: using a small, blunt needle, make
buttonhole stitches all around the ring, spacing the stitches very
closely, and completely covering the ring. The knots, or pearls, of
the stitches, will lay to the outside of the ring.

The second step is called slicking: twist the buttonhole stitches
around the ring, so that the knots, or pearls, are on the inside of
the ring. Use the needle to catch some of the pearls, and begin the
twisting with a lever like action. After the twisting is started, it
is usually quite easy to finish the slicking with the fingers.

The third step is called laying: holding the ring firmly with the
fingers of one hand, and the thread pulled taunt by the other, wrap
the thread around the ring, making "spokes". Usually, tweleve spokes
are made. With your imagination, divide the ring like the numbers on
a clock. The thread must be held taunt to prevent the spokes from
loosening and falling off the ring. The centers will not cross
exactly at this stage. Complete this step by securing the threads to
the center with a couple of crosses stitches, catching all of the
spokes. The first crossd stitches can be adjusted to the center using
the needle to push the stitches. Cross the centers again. Check to be
sure the crossed stitches are in the middle of the ring. This is very
important!

The fourth step is called rounding: using the needle, weave around
from spoke to spoke, taking a stitch under and back over each spoke
(like a backstitch). Work from the center outward, fillin in the ring
as closely as possible. Keeo your work even and neat.

Finish the button by using a sharp needle to run the remaining thread
tail through the back of the rounding and exit at the center back of
the button. The tail may be left to use to set on the button, or may
be trimmed off.

End text.