Old July 5th 08, 05:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

Default Fri evening update [was OT [very] My Hometown is on Fire]

The firefighter I heard about was up in the Big Sur fire, didn't
happen on the line. He was a volunteer. The other one was the young
man in Orange county who had come home the day before from fighting
fires in northern Calif; he had a brain aneurysm.

Fireworks were cancelled in Santa Barbara [right next to Goleta where
the fire is], then at 6:30 they cancelled the fireworks in the Santa
Ynez Valley [over the mountain from the Goleta fire] due to not enough
resources. Unfortunately right now there are a bunch of people setting
off illegal fireworks all around me. There are a lot of very tall palm
trees in this area, which are like popsicles if they catch on fire.
Gosh what a bunch of idiots. There are not enough law enforcement to
cover.

My friend is still evacuated. He is staying with a buddy. So far he
thinks his house is okay.

Ginger in CA

On Jul 4, 8:06*pm, Taria wrote:
That seems to be the big one here. *It sounds like they are getting a
handle on the Yucaipa fire. *Not sure about the new one in Malibu.

That tanker (unless it has been moved but it had a 3 yr contract in '07)
is out of Victorville (my town) *The closed George Air Force base is
now SO. Cal. Logistical Airport (SCLA) *Victorville is good for little
but a potty stop between Vegas and L.A. so we gotta take what little
good we have and brag.
That plane is really awesome. I thought I heard there had been 1
firefighter that has been lost but can't find any real info about it.
I sure hope the fireworks tonight don't cause any more problems.
Hugs to you all Ginger,
Taria

Ginger in CA wrote:
Now over 6000 acres.

They brought in a DC-10 today, flying in every 1.5 hrs from Lancaster
[where there is a former military base with a big runway]. It lays
down a mile long swath of retardant with each flyover. They are
reporting it did a good job.

Over 1000 firefighters on the line now, another 1000 due tomorrow.

Gap Fire as it is called is now threatening to jump over H154, which
is the area that all burned 18 years ago.

Cost is $2million right now.

Human caused, origin site cordoned off near Winchester Canyon Gun Club
[the one my dad built in 1962].

Sundowner winds are starting now, up to 20 MPH.

Ginger in CA- Hide quoted text -