Old August 20th 03, 03:17 PM
Adrienne Kriel

It is a paste floor wax, I apply it with a piece of cloth that is not too
soft else it absorbs too much of the wax, make sure your bat is clean of any
clay. I glue the foam to the bat with woodglue. It usually sticks well and
you can clean it off when the foam needs to be replaced.

"sandi" wrote in message
et...
Thank you Adrienne for the advice on removing plates from the bat. Do you
use liquid or paste floor wax? Do you glue the foam to a bat to trim your
plates? Thanks again. Sandi
"Adrienne Kriel" wrote in message
Hallo,

Plates are ususally tricky seeing that an s-crack can appear if the

plate
is
left on the bat for to long before cutting it because of the clay drying

and
not releasing from the bat. Some people cut their plates imediately

after
throwing and then again when taking it of the bat, usually at

leatherhard
stage.
However, I have a very peculiar way of decorating my raw plates and

needed
sturdy straight base so that I can work on the surface and I need to

work
the surface before I can turn the foot ring. So I do the following, I

use
floor wax on my bats before throwing the plate (just a thin layer else

your
clay won't stick to the bat), the plate releases from the bat by

leatherhard
stage on its own no cutting involved and voila no ending up with an

uneven
base to turn.
As far as turning is concerned, I cut out a piece of 5mm thick sponge to

the
size of one of my bats and glued it to the surface this serves as a

turning
bat and thuss when turning the plate the rim is protected.
I turn 2 footrings, if you are using a high firing clay it is better to

have
a smaller footring as well. Some large plates slumps at high

temperatures,
or you can just leave a little bump. I find it easier to first take of

all
the excess clay until I get to the required thickness, leave about 1cm

so
you have enough clay for the footring, it works in the same way as

turning
footring on a bowl, make sure your footring starts where your plates

start
to go level on the surface. After turning away the excess clay it is

much
easier to level the footring if needed, instead of the whole base.

Good Luck
Adrienne

"john n va" wrote in message
et...
Hello All,
I really like your group. I've learned much from the Q&As. I am a

new
potter so I have a lot to learn. Can anyone tell me the best way to

remove
a plate from the bat after you throw it? Do you leave it til its dry?

If
so, how do you trim a foot ring? I have plastic bats and compressed

wood
bats. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Sandi