Old November 25th 08, 07:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dianne Lewandowski

Default Cookery - UK versus N. America

MelissaD wrote:
Dawne Peterson wrote:
"lucretia borgia" wrote
Bruce Fletcher wrote

Whilst struggling to interpret an American recipe I came across this
handy translation guide:
http://marycontrary.tripod.com/food/charts.html
I see they touch on the difference in flour, but there is really no
subbing. English cake recipes, things like the Victoria Sandwich are
evil made with NA flour. Measurements for Yorkies is different and
method is different. I never use English recipes that involve flour.

Some people suggest removing 2 tbsp/cup of flour when using NA all
purpose flour. Have you tried that? (not recommeding it, just saying
I have been told of it)
Dawne

I'm sure you are aware that there is a lot of variety in types of flours
as they are not all made from the same wheat crops. My FIL worked in
the baking - specifically flour - industry for 40+ years and he can take
a bite of something and tell you what kind of flour they used. It could
be that some recipes would work better with something like cake flour
rather than the general use "all purpose" flour.

MelissaD

Unless a recipe calls for a specific type of flour (and many U.S.
recipes call for all-purpose flour) I use cake flour for baking cakes
and bread flour (or whole wheat, rye, whatever) for making bread. To
make bread with all-purpose flour is to have not-so-good bread and that
is the reason many people don't bother to bake bread.

Also, not all "all-purpose" flours are made equally. Check ingredients
to see where the flour comes from and what - if any - additives are in
it. For all-purpose flour, I always purchase the unbleached variety.

I would think it's more brand name than area of the country?

Dianne

--
Affordable & Creative Website Design - including Flash and more.
No Templates. Designed Just For You! http://Kanen5Designs.com