Old August 16th 05, 12:25 AM
Steve Mills

Look for building sites where they are excavating the foundations. If
the area has clay, that is a pretty good way of finding it.

Dry it out, break it up, and mix in LOTS of water to make a REALLY
sloppy mix. Run it through a coarse sieve to get the grit and other
rubbish out.

Next mix in some cider vinegar to help it *mature*, pour it into cloth
bags (old Jeans legs, pillow cases, etc.) and hang it out to stiffen.

The next bit is trying to make stuff out of what you've scavenged,
seeing if it will *work*, and finding out how high it will fire.

Have fun.

Steve
Bath
UK

In article Ve7Me.30024$084.22376@attbi_s22, mr y
writes
OK, so I'm a newbie, and an urban refugee to boot. Can any of you point me
in the direction of websites and/or publications that discuss how to
identify and collect clay from the wild? I'm doing fine on store-bought,
but I'd like to try to expand my horizons a bit.

Thanks
Mr Y

--
Steve Mills