Old October 12th 07, 12:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

Default Yarn for socks

Thanks everybody! I learned a lot from all of your input.
I was curious about the alpaca because the Super Joanns out here
has a new line of alpaca yarn that is on sale, and living in the
desert, it is hard to find pure wool. Didn't have time to order
anything on line. But I did get lucky and found some Galway at the
LYS so I bought a couple of balls of that to use.
Making my big son a pair of socks for his size 14 feet! Did NOT
want to use fine fingering weight yarn and size 2 needles for that!
He wants pure wool socks. Sigh....I also bought a spool of the
reinforcement thread that I used on the heel and toes of the first
sock which I almost finished today. That was actually pretty easy to
combine with the yarn and knit with. And it blends in so well, you
wouldn't even know it was there.
Thanks again everyone! Happy knitting!
Marie and the cats

On Oct 12, 3:20 am, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"YarnWright" wrote in message

. . .
Marie,
I HAVE, but wouldn't recommend it.. the alpaca tends to 'grow/stretch' and
really, it's, unless you've GOT an alpaca, too expensive for socks that
will
wear out....
JM2C,
Noreen

I didn't know that alpaca stretched, thanks for that.

Mar