Old January 30th 08, 12:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Pat in Illinois

Default Floss Organizing System ??

I tried the Stitch Bow system and don't recommend it. The skeins fall
off the holders, it is hard to slide the holders in and out, and there
is no way to corral the smaller pieces. I think anything that allows
you to keep the skeins flat in drawers, or in a bag is a better bet.
Both allow minimal messing about with threads prior to use, and give you
somewhere to store those shorter pieces that we can't throw away.

Bobbins take up less space and work as well, and shorter pieces can be
wound on the same bobbin as the skein. There is the extra step of
winding the thread onto the bobbin, but that can be a restful activity
while you plan the next project.Be careful not to wind metallics onto
the bobbins if you ever plan to use them for couching, however, because
the kinks in the threads won't come out easily. Silk and floss can be
moistened if it kinks, but not metallic.

Whether you store by color or number depends mostly on whether you
stitch charts using the exact colors, or do stitchery that needs a
certain color but not necessarily a specific numbered color, (if that
makes any sense).

Pat in Illinois