Old April 6th 08, 05:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Just Askin

Default Problems with a steam iron

"Just Askin" wrote in message
I recently bought a brand new Black & Decker Steam Advantage iron (model
F2200). This is one with a "Ceramic Glide" soleplate. I've owned it less
than a week and I am already having problems with it. The specific problem
I am having is that on occasion it is staining my clothes. This happens
when I am ironing over a thick seam, say, the outside corner of the pocket
on the front of a shirt. The iron is leaving a thin, brown stain there.
Sometimes I can brush off what seems to be some residue there, but
sometimes not.

When I examine the soleplate I see some brown stains immediately below the
"top" steam vent, extending in a V-shape in each direction. This stained
area feels slightly rough, as though there is residue there.

Compared with my old iron, which had a non-stick (Teflon?) soleplate, I've
noticed that the ceramic soleplate of this new iron is more "sticky," and
I have to let the steam flow really build up before I can move the iron
back and forth easily. This soleplate also seems to get hotter at a given
fabric heat/steam setting.

I have ironed almost exclusively dress shirts, both 100% cotton and
poly/cotten shirts, with this iron. I am using the recommended heat/steam
setting for the fabric. I have been filling the iron with store-bought,
distilled water.

I have two questions:

(1) What is causing this problem? Is the recommended setting too hot?
Is this residue microscopic, burned, fabric particles?

(2) How can I clean this material off the soleplate?

Thanks in advance. I saw from searching Google that problems with steam
irons have been discussed in this group in the past.

I solved this problem on my own by researching various solutions on the
Internet and trying them until I found one that worked.

This problem was being caused by the fact that this new iron gets quite a
bit hotter than my old iron. In essence, the cotton heat/steam setting is
too hot for the cotten/polyester blend shirts I usually wear. This new iron
is getting so hot that it is, at the microscopic level, burning/melting the
fabric and this burned/melted material is accumulating on the bottom of the
iron. Enough of this residue had collected on the soleplate so that, after
about the fifth time I used the iron, some rubbed off on the shirt I was
ironing, creating the stains I mentioned earlier.

I tried several methods to remove this residue from the soleplate. The one
that worked was making a thick paste of water and baking soda and spooning
some of this on a Scotch Brite "Dobie" scouring pad, then gently scouring
the soleplate in a circular motion. It took about a half-hour to get all
the residue off the soleplate, but I did not scratch the ceramic surface.

I then experimented with lowering the temperature of my iron by setting it
to the next highest setting, the "Wool" setting. This was hot enough to
iron the cotten/poly shirts successfully without causing the burn/melting
problems.

I'm still trying to find a way to get the brown stains out of the shirt that
I was ironing when I discovered the problem. Today I tried a "Magic Wand"
stain remover stick. I rubbed this on the stains than laundered. It may
have removed a little bit, but the stains were still there after laundering.